Saturday, August 23, 2008

our appointment

What a delightful couple.
Di and Dave are so excited about the pregnancy, and I feel very special in sharing in this occasion with them.
We did talk about Di continuing to breastfeed Peter, however, I am not too overly concerned at the moment. We still have a bit of time left, after all, Peter may well wean himself.

My main concern for this appointment is her first antennal blood results.
(haemaglobin 110g/L and Ferritin 9ug/L)
To start with, it appears to me Di has iron deficiency. Our appointment went for at least an hour, as I was explaining to Di and Dave what these terms mean in regard for a healthy pregnancy. I am concerned that she is a vegatarian, however, she has been doing a lot of research herself on the internet, looking at ministry of health sites etc, to gain a better understanding. I think we can become great partners in care together. Communication seems to be going well. I have sourced some literature to help with my treatment plan.

According to Pairman et al (2006), a ferritin level less than 12-15ug/L “indicates empty stores of iron and iron deficiency.” (Harram et al 2001, cited in Pairman et al 2006).
Di’s Haemaglobin is also lowish being 110g/L, however it can be difficult to determine whether this is associated with the relatively normal process in pregnancy of haemodilution, or, anaemia. According to Pairman et al (2006), this result would most likely be anaemia. Pairmain et al (2006) continues by stating that serum ferritin is the blood test of choice in determining iron stores in the body, particularly in the first trimester. As Di is right on the cusp of moving in to the second trimester, I could expect her serum ferritin to drop even more, as according to Pairman et al (2006), haemodilution occurs independent of changes in iron stores. A ferritin level of 15-30ug/L shows that iron stores are too small to cope with the requirements of pregnancy. (Pairman et al 2006).

We began our appointment quite casually. Di and Dave knew what we were to discuss, and appeared relaxed and comfortable. I actually had a few hours to spare, so I could relax too.
We talked about how important the mineral “iron” is to the body, particularly during pregnancy. I explained that iron is an important mineral that is available to the body from food, in two forms. Haem, being a structure of haemaglobin, and, non-haem iron.
Haem iron is present in meat, poultry and fish. Non –haem is also present in meat, fish and poultry, but is also the only form found in plant foods.
Since she is a vegetarian, I would like to recommend her including foods in each meal of non-haem and haem foods. Ideally, I would like to suggest including fish twice a week together with a selection of non-haem foods. She also does not consume dairy products, however according to the NZ dietetic Association, soy is a good form of calcium as well as cooked legumes, nuts and seeds, almond butter spread for her morning toast, green leafy veggies, dried figs and even calcium fortified orange juice. I have given her lists of recipe ideas for each main meal of the week, and encouraged her to include foods rich in vitamin C to assist in iron absorption in the gut.
Fortunately, Di does not drink too much tea and coffee. I have advised her to consume a cuppa at least 3 hours apart from her meals as the tannins in tea particularly, reduces iron absorption up to 40%.

ABOUT ANAEMIA
During our appointment, I also explained that significant anaemia can pose a real threat to the overall well being of the mother and baby. The physiological changes that commonly occur in pregnancy may either expose an underlying anaemia, or it may continue to develop during the pregnancy. (coggins 2001, cited in Pairman et al 2006). “Haemoglobin levels are used as a primary measure of anaemia, as approximately 70% of iron in the body is haemoglobin”. (Jordan 2002, pg 268, cited in Pairman et al 2006, pg 353).
Another thing is, when diagnosing anaemia, it’s important to differentiate between other types of anaemia, such as folate, b12, sickle cell, thalassaemia and autoimmune anaemia. Pairman et al (2006) recommends correct diagnosis to avoid unnecessary treatment regimes that may actually cause more harm than good. Iron overload can occur in women with haemochromatosis, or inneffectice erythropoiesis, such as sickle cell disease and thalassaemias.
However, from her latest antennal screen, I feel we need to treat iron deficiency anaemia. She does take 800mcgs of folate per day, and has done for the past 3 months. There are no indications of family history with any above mentioned conditions.
My recommendations include diet variation as described, and also an iron supplementation of approximately 105mg of iron daily throughout pregnancy. Mainly as her ferritin is only 9ug/L. Best to be taken before food, to help reduce side effects of tummy upsets. I would recommend Ferrogradumet, which contains 105mg of elemental iron. I have also written out blood slips for a repeat screen in another 4 weeks.
By the end of our appointment, I could tell Di and Dave were a little overwhelmed with our topic, however I think I have inspired them to be creative in their meal preparations, making them interesting, healthy and cost effective for their lifestyle. Hopefully Peter will enjoy it too.

I am a fairly new midwife, so I tend to source my books and current literature to support my practice. I think we’re on track so far. Di and Dave both know to call me at any time if any more questions arise.
I shall catch up with them both within 4 weeks.

These references were great.
Pairman S, Pincombe J, Thorogood C, Tracy S, (2006), Midwifery preparation for practice, Elsevier, Australia

Vegetarian Diets – American Dietetic Association, Journal of the NZ Dietetic Association, Vol 54, No 2.

5 comments:

julia said...

I am wondering if Vit B12 deficencies could have a role to play in the blood test results...I agree that the cause of the anemia should be discovered, before treatment can start. Restrictive vegetarian diets can propose a real risk of becoming Vit b12 deficient to the pregnant woman.

kerryn said...

Ros here,
I am quite happy to treat iron deficiency, in this case, because I do know that Di and Dave consume a "plethora" of leafy green veggies, and her tofu and broccoli pizza sounds....interesting.....(yucko!) So, I'm sure somewhere in that meal, she's getting some vit B 12. Anyway, I would choose a beautiful NZ lamb roast, and the next night, a juicy steak, but thats me. :-)
Tofu and green veggie stirfry could be an option perhaps ?1? (eeeuuggh) :-0
Her results indicate normocytic anaemia, which is MCV of 80-100 fL.
So, her anaemia has been classified in cell size, and I am treating with Ferrogradumet for 4 weeks 1 tab daily before food, and, will do repeat bloods within 4 weeks.

If the anaemia was to do with B12 deficiency, her anaemia would be macrocytic with a MCV of > 100fL.
Engstrom & Sittler (1994).

There's an online site called the vegetarian Resource Group, and in their nutrition section, it is mentioned that as long as mums consume fortified B12 cereals, some soy milks are fortified with B12, her endless supply of home grown green leafy veggies, she should be getting enough B12 at the mo.
If I have further concerns, there is a product I can look in to called "Red star vegetarian support formula". Di and dave are smart people, and appears to be very digilent with their diet.

The breastfeeding, I am sure is creating a little more stress on her nutritional demands, but I am happy at this stage. She was not tachyardic on assessment, and her BP is aok. We'll see what the next reults bring.
Di and Dave always know to call me if they have any questions at all.

OOOPS! I've got a call, think my primip has gone into labour, she's been niggling for a couple of days. Talk about perfect timing, baby's due date is today!!

Ciao for now :-)




A handy article ;

Engstrom JL, Sittler CP (1994), Nurse-Midwifery management of iron deficiency anaemia during pregnancy, Journal of nurse-midwifery, Vol 39, No 2.

Sarah Stewart said...

What would you think are the problems, if any, to Di getting so much information from the Internet?

Anonymous said...

confusion, conflicting info, non researched information, to mention a few. On the other-hand if used to Di's advantage, the internet is a wonderful resource.

kerryn said...

Not too bad. People definitely go overboard with what they read on the internet, but Di and Dave are intelligent, and they know to ask me any questions they have or quiery what they come across during their journey on the world wide web!

xxRos